Barry P. Levenfeld
Barry Levenfeld has a wide-ranging technology and life-science practice focusing on mergers and acquisitions (representing both global technology companies and Israeli target companies); fund formation and portfolio investment for Israeli and overseas private equity and venture capital funds; representation of technology and life science start-up companies from first seed financing through acquisition or initial public offering and beyond; intellectual property transactional work including distribution, OEM, licensing strategic collaboration, joint venture and marketing agreements; life science companies and academic institutions; internet and multimedia issues; and representation in Israel of major international technology companies.
Barry serves on the board of the Israel Union for Environmental Defense and Alyn Hospital, and is a Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
Barry is an avid biker and one of the founders and organizers of the Wheels of Love Annual Charity Bike Ride, Israel's premier charity biking event.
Barry joined the firm in 1988 and became a partner in 1992.
Barry graduated from Harvard College summa cum laude in 1976 and from Harvard Law School in 1980.
Barry was admitted to the New York Bar in 1981 and to the Israel Bar in 1985.
Barry is fluent in English and Hebrew.
- Chambers Global (2008-2013 editions) ranked Barry in Band 1 in Corporate/M&A and in Hi-Tech. "International sources rate Barry Levenfeld very highly for his skills in the hi-tech and life sciences arenas" (2013). Barry Levenfeld is a well-known presence in high-profile M&A work, especially in US-related mandates, and has an exceptional technology and life sciences practice that includes several matters for venture capital funds. He is widely praised by commentators, who describe him as "one of the top lawyers in the hi-tech field," and assert that they would "recommend him without reservation." (2012). "Barry Levenfeld is a top-quality lawyer who is well known for his experience in handling big-ticket M&A work. Barry Levenfeld is one of the top hi-tech lawyers in the country” (2011). “Barry Levenfeld receives unanimous praise from peers as one of the most recommended lawyers in the industry with a fantastic practice. The very active Barry Levenfeld moves into the top band this year, after clients consistently picked him out as an instrumental part in the success of transactions" (2010). “Barry Levenfeld is well liked by clients, who appreciate his confident manner, combined with in-depth local knowledge. Levenfeld is an all-round player in terms of venture capital transactions and he is also well known his M&A expertise. Sources say he is confident and responsive, and clients really like him” (2009).
- PLC Which Lawyer (2011 and 2012 editions) lists Barry Levenfeld as recommended in Corporate/M&A, Life Sciences, Private Equity/Venture Capital, Private Equity:fund formation, Telecommunications and Technology. In their 2009 edition noted that “Barry Levenfeld is highly recommended individual in the Corporate/M&A, private equity/venture capital, telecoms and IT fields. And also recommended in the life sciences, private equity-fund formation and telecommunications fields.
- The IFLR1000 (2011 and 2012 editions) ranks Barry as a leading lawyer in Corporate & M&A and notes that " On the international side, joint practice head Barry Levenfeld has taken the lead on a large proportion of the transactions and is recognized for his extensive experience in cross border technology deals: Barry is a high-tech venture capital lawyer and he's very good". (2012). “Barry is a really nice guy and should get a lot more publicity than he does,” says one partner. “All the big M&A in 2006 and 2007, he acted on.” (2011)
- Euromoney's 2011 Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers lists Barry as a legal expert in Private Equity
- “Who’s Who Legal” (2011 and 2013 edition) Selected Barry as one of the world's pre-eminent Capital Markets lawyers and as one of the world's leading Merger & Acquisition lawyers" (2011). In 2013 they nominated Barry as a leading attorney in the Life Sciences area.
- The Legal 500 (2009-2011 editions ) recognizes Barry Levenfeld as “very good” in the Corporate/M&A field, and as "practical and business-oriented" in the Hi-Tech field (2011). "Practice head Barry Levenfeld is excellent, experienced and very professional, and very good for all deal-making structures.” With respect to hi-tech, start-ups and venture capital, “Barry Levenfeld is recommended for all deal making structures.” (2010). “Barry Levenfeld is one of the best-known corporate lawyers in Israel, especially for transactions in the technology sector. Barry Levenfeld is best known for his work for technology and start-up clients, including Apax partners, and provides a high level of involvement in the clients’ business.” (2009).
- Legal Experts -- Europe, Middle East & Africa (2011 edition) recognizes Barry as an expert in Corporate and M&A, IT and Telecoms and Intellectual Property.