Barry P. Levenfeld
Barry Levenfeld has a wide-ranging technology and life-science practice focusing on mergers and acquisitions (representing both global technology companies and Israeli target companies); fund formation and portfolio investment for Israeli and overseas private equity and venture capital funds; representation of technology and life science start-up companies from first seed financing through acquisition or initial public offering and beyond; intellectual property transactional work including distribution, OEM, licensing strategic collaboration, joint venture and marketing agreements; life science companies and academic institutions; internet and multimedia issues; and representation in Israel of major international technology companies.
Barry serves on the board of the Israel Union for Environmental Defense and Alyn Hospital, and is a Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
Barry is an avid biker and one of the founders and organizers of the Wheels of Love Annual Charity Bike Ride, Israel's premier charity biking event.
Barry joined the firm in 1988 and became a partner in 1992.
Barry graduated from Harvard College summa cum laude in 1976 and from Harvard Law School in 1980.
Barry was admitted to the New York Bar in 1981 and to the Israel Bar in 1985.
Barry is fluent in English and Hebrew.
- LMG Life Sciences (2015 edition) ranked Barry Levenfeld as a "Life Science Star" in the Financial & Transactional area.
- Chambers Global (2015-2008 editions) ranked Barry in Band 1 in Corporate/M&A and in Hi-Tech. "The 'excellent' Barry Levenfeld has expertise in M&A, venture capital and joint ventures and receives high praise for the quality of his representation. Impressed sources describe him as a 'very experienced and bright guy' (2015)." Barry is also ranked in Capital Markets: "Barry Levenfeld has extensive experience representing issuers and underwriters (2015)". Barry Levenfeld is widely recognised as one of the leading figures in the market. "He demonstrated a strong understanding of the legal framework, and provided not only legal advice, but also business advice," said one client." (2014 edition). International sources rate Barry Levenfeld very highly for his skills in the hi-tech and life sciences arenas" (2013). Barry Levenfeld is a well-known presence in high-profile M&A work, especially in US-related mandates, and has an exceptional technology and life sciences practice that includes several matters for venture capital funds. He is widely praised by commentators, who describe him as "one of the top lawyers in the hi-tech field," and assert that they would "recommend him without reservation" (2012). "Barry Levenfeld is a top-quality lawyer who is well known for his experience in handling big-ticket M&A work. Barry Levenfeld is one of the top hi-tech lawyers in the country” (2011). “Barry Levenfeld receives unanimous praise from peers as one of the most recommended lawyers in the industry with a fantastic practice. The very active Barry Levenfeld moves into the top band this year, after clients consistently picked him out as an instrumental part in the success of transactions" (2010). “Barry Levenfeld is well liked by clients, who appreciate his confident manner, combined with in-depth local knowledge. Levenfeld is an all-round player in terms of venture capital transactions and he is also well known his M&A expertise. Sources say he is confident and responsive, and clients really like him” (2009).
- Client Choice (2015 edition), listed Barry Levenfeld as an expert in Healthcare & Life Sciences.
- The IFLR1000 (2016-2011 editions) ranks Barry as a leading lawyer in Corporate & M&A and notes that "Barry Levenfeld is one of the country's leading venture capital specialists and generally a highly regarded figure in M&A, the most prominent partner in this field"(2014). "On the international side, joint practice head Barry Levenfeld has taken the lead on a large proportion of the transactions and is recognized for his extensive experience in cross border technology deals: Barry is a high-tech venture capital lawyer and he's very good" (2012). “Barry is a really nice guy and should get a lot more publicity than he does,” says one partner. “All the big M&A in 2006 and 2007, he acted on” (2011).
- Who’s Who Legal (2015-2011 editions) Barry Levenfeld ranks as one of the world's leading practitioners in the fields of Debt & Equity, Life Sciences, M&A and Governance (2015). In both 2013 and 2014 they nominated Barry as a leading attorney in the areas of: Life Sciences - Transactional, Capital Markets - Debt and Equity and Mergers and Acquisitions. In 2011 they selected Barry as one of the world's pre-eminent Capital Markets lawyers and as one of the world's leading Merger & Acquisition lawyers.
The Legal 500 (2011-2009 editions ) recognizes Barry Levenfeld as “very good” in the Corporate/M&A field, and as "practical and business-oriented" in the Hi-Tech field (2011). "Practice head Barry Levenfeld is excellent, experienced and very professional, and very good for all deal-making structures.” With respect to hi-tech, start-ups and venture capital, “Barry Levenfeld is recommended for all deal making structures.” (2010). “Barry Levenfeld is one of the best-known corporate lawyers in Israel, especially for transactions in the technology sector. Barry Levenfeld is best known for his work for technology and start-up clients, including Apax partners, and provides a high level of involvement in the clients’ business.” (2009).
- Legal Experts -- Europe, Middle East & Africa (2011 edition) recognizes Barry as an expert in Corporate and M&A, IT and Telecoms and Intellectual Property.
- Euromoney's 2011 Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers lists Barry as a legal expert in Private Equity.
PLC Which Lawyer (2012 and 2011 editions) lists Barry Levenfeld as recommended in Corporate/M&A, Life Sciences, Private Equity/Venture Capital, Private Equity:fund formation, Telecommunications and Technology. In their 2009 edition noted that “Barry Levenfeld is highly recommended individual in the Corporate/M&A, private equity/venture capital, telecoms and IT fields. And also recommended in the life sciences, private equity-fund formation and telecommunications fields.