David H. Schapiro
David Schapiro has represented Israeli and international clients for the past nearly 25 years in a diverse and sophisticated transactional practice.
David's experience includes representing domestic and foreign clients in complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public and private financings and project finance transactions. David has acted in some of the largest transactions completed in Israel.
David has repeatedly been selected as "One of the World`s Leading Lawyers" by Chambers Global Guide to Law Firms. Legal 500 listed him as a recognized Israeli expert in the fields of Corporate Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, Project Finance and Securities. Global Counsel 3,000 recommended him as a "Leading Individual" (their highest category) for "Company and Corporate Transactions", and he was highly recommended by Practical Law Company in the fields of Corporate/M&A and Restructuring and Insolvency. Israel`s Maariv newspaper, has profiled David calling him "one of the most valued high-tech lawyers in Israel and the world." He has been quoted in Chambers Global guide as a "standout attorney who is quite able to think outside the box." It further describes him as being "credited with taking his firm into the most lucrative project finance areas and praised for his very strong commercial acumen. His dynamic flexibility in following the market is much appreciated."
David also lectures on issues related to corporate governance and financing at Israel's key conferences such as the annual hi-tech conference, Journey, and other corporate finance forums.
Prior to joining Yigal Arnon & Co., David practiced law in the Corporate Department of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson in New York between 1987 and 1990.
David joined the firm in 1990 and became a partner in 1994.
David and his wife founded a non profit child development center which is the largest center in the greater Jerusalem area. They have 4 children and 2 grandchildren. David is an active duty reserve officer in the Israel Defense Forces.
David graduated with a B.A cum laude from Yeshiva University in 1984 and received his law degree magna cum laude from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law of Yeshiva University in 1987.
David was admitted to the New York Bar (U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and U.S. Tax Court) in 1988 and to the Israel Bar in 1991.
David is fluent in English and Hebrew.
David is consistently praised for his exceptional legal work:
- Chambers Global (2015-2008 editions) repeatedly ranks David highly in Corporate & M&A, Projects & Energy and Banking and Finance and notes that: "David Schapiro is well known for his M&A work. Sources say: 'He really understands business' (2015)"."David Schapiro is highly regarded by peers. He is applauded for his activity on hi-tech transactions and he is well placed to advise both domestic and international clients, thanks to his many years of experience in both markets. In the Projects & Energy field, David Schapiro has earned a strong reputation as "an excellent lawyer who understands the law and economics". He regularly represents international companies and Israeli clients in complex project finance transactions. (2014). David Schapiro is an "extremely bright" lawyer and "he is singled out as an "extremely bright" practitioner. "Clients are impressed by David Schapiro, describing him as an "excellent lawyer, who understands not only the law but also the economics" of matters." (2013); “The highly regarded David Schapiro is especially well known for his expertise in financing deals” (2012); ”David Schapiro has extensive experience in project work, and is a very impressive individual.” "David Schapiro has a strong presence in the market" (2011); “David Schapiro is a key player in the projects sector, having been involved in the financing of several desalination facilities.” “David Schapiro is a prominent corporate/M&A lawyer with a wealth of experience and involvement in big-ticket transactions” (2010); “The immensely intelligent David Schapiro is described by market sources as highly skilled in financing" (2009); “The gregarious, outspoken and sharp-witted David Schapiro is held in high regard for his comprehensive domestic and international experience. He is considered superior in international transactions.” (2008)
- The Legal 500 (2015–2009 editions) ranks David as a recommended lawyer in the Banking & finance, Commercial, corporate and M&A, and Projects and energy practice areas, and notes that "David provides ‘practical solutions to every problem" (2015). "David Schapiro is ‘a very good lawyer, who understands his client’s business'."(2013); David co-heads the corporate and M&A practice which is "international, responsive and deep", and "provides exceptional services" (2012); “David Schapiro is very sharp, learns very quickly and really assists in decision-making" in the fields of Corporate and M&A and Projects and Energy (2011); “David Schapiro is well respected” in the field of projects and energy (2010); Under capital markets, “David Schapiro is professional and dedicated, and provides prompt, round-the-clock service.” (2009)
- PLC Which Lawyer (2012-2008 editions) lists David Schapiro as recommended in Corporate/M&A, Banking and Finance, Project Finance and Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Legal Experts -- Europe, Middle East & Africa (2012-2011 editions) recognizes David as an expert in Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A and Project Finance/Energy.
- Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers (2012-2011 editions) lists David as a legal expert in Mergers and Acquisitions.