Yigal Arnon & Co. has significant experience with issues related to Israeli R&D law and working with the IAA (Israel Innovation Authority, formerly the Israeli Office of the Chief Scientist), including in connection with the special programs for multi-national companies, the Center for International Cooperation in R&D (Matimop) and IIA-supported technological and biotech incubators. Since many Israeli technology companies receive IIA funding and other governmental grants for research and development work, this expertise is highly valued by our clients.
- Assisting Early-Stage Israeli entities with IIA Matters. We advise startup companies on their IIA-related matters. This includes providing guidance on the programs available, filing requirements and special arrangements with the IIA. In particular, in light of our extensive experience in exit transactions, we advise startups about the likely implications of the restrictions imposed on companies receiving IIA support on their future financing and exit transactions.
- Assisting Mature Israeli Companies with IIA Matters. We advise mature companies, including Israeli subsidiaries of global technology giants, on their IIA-related matters. This includes providing guidance on the programs available particularly for multinational companies, filing requirements and special arrangements with the IIA.
- Advising Potential Investors and Acquirers. We provide guidance to Israeli and non-Israeli investors and purchasers interested in investing or acquiring Israeli companies that had obtained IIA funding, including underwriters in public offerings. We are involved in all stages of the transaction, including due diligence on IIA-related matters of the target, and drafting the agreements and applications to the IIA with respect to the treatment of the IIA-supported technology and intellectual property following closing. We focus on intellectual property rights and possible restrictions on the activities of multinationals that have acquired Israeli companies for their intellectual property.
- Technology Transfer. We advise clients on issues related to the transfer of IIA-supported know-how, including drafting and negotiating different applications to the IIA for the transfer of IIA-supported know-how in Israel and outside of Israel, and the transfer of manufacturing rights and other special arrangements.
- Complex IP Transactions. We can negotiate and document complex transactions that involve know-how developed under IIA-funded programs and managing applications to and discussions with the IIA with respect to the various issues arising under the R&D Law.
- Multinational Companies. We provide guidance to multinational corporations, whether in connection with grants obtained by their Israeli subsidiaries, or with respect to participation in special multinational programs of the IIA.
- Incubators. We assist bidding groups and other applicants for operating incubators under the Incubators Program of the IIA, both during the tender process and after the incorporation of the incubator, including if needed litigation support to defend a winner of the tender process against challenges by disappointed competitors.